Nominations are being accepted for the 2018 Jason Senechal Memorial Award.
In 300 words or less, please list why your nominee meets the criteria of honour, fair play and sportsmanship. Please send your nomination letter to Suzanne Wallace at email@example.com. Letters will be accepted until Monday, July 16th at 11:59pm.
Since 2004, Ontario Volleyball has honoured the late Jason Senechal by recognizing a youth division beach athlete (male or female) with the Jason Senechal Memorial Award. It is our hope to help his spirit live on and to follow Jason’s lead by encouraging the qualities of honour, fair play and good sportsmanship. Past winners include Lance Reynolds, Eric Kuld, Sam Schachter, Katie Jenkins, Victoria Altomare, Cam Wheelan, Grant O’Gorman and Jake MacNeil.
In his time on the OVA Beach Tour, Jason managed to make a tremendous impact on all participants including athletes, parents, OVA Staff and Crew. With this award we aim to encourage all the values that Jason personified.
Jason’s athleticism, skill and dedication to excellence helped him excel in volleyball throughout his high school career and beyond. Jason’s talent also allowed him to excel in downhill skiing, badminton and table tennis. While playing on the OVA Beach Tour, Jason was able to capture a Provincial Championship and place 3rd at the National Championships. Jason’s accomplishments go beyond podium finishes. He was involved with Athletes In Action doing outreach volleyball camps. Jason also had the opportunity to compete in Thailand while teaching volleyball to children.
Criteria for the Award is as follows:
- Been an active athlete on the OVA Beach Tour for a minimum of two seasons.
- Been considered by fellow players to be a leader or mentor
- Demonstrated a willingness to share his/her talent for the betterment of the sport as a whole.
- Demonstrated an ability to fairly resolve on-court issues both as a player and as a player-official.
- Been considered by officials and organizers as positive role model contributing to the spirit of competition and fair play.
- Must be least 16 years of age.
Past winners include:
2004 Lance Reynolds
2005 Katie Jenkins
2006 Eric Kuld
2008 Sam Schachter
2009 Victoria Altomare
2010 Cam Wheelan
2011 Grant O’Gorman
2012 Jake MacNeil
2013 Charlotte Sider
2014 Octavia Wong
2015 Liam Kopp
2016 Courtney Sestric
2017 -Not Awarded-